Imagine for a moment what goes through your mind when you reach in your mailbox and pull out your monthly electric bill. Are you afraid to open it right away? Do you tend to go into shock when you eventually open it and read the amount due? And when the bill is higher than normal, do you automatically think about the possible reasons?
For most of us, the reason for a higher electric bill is obvious: the air conditioning unit. We need to use it to keep us cool in the summer and warm in the winter. And we look forward to those times of year where we don’t need to use it at all. During those months, our bills are normally two-to-three times less.
So then it is normal to ask ourselves the following: if we have to use the air conditioner, how do we control the costs? One of the things people try is to control it on a manual schedule. For example, we might run it for one hour during the middle of the day and then turn it off.
But does that really work? Let’s face it. After a couple of days of doing this, we start to get lazy or complacent and just let the unit run all day. And eventually we end up paying for that comfort. Don’t get me wrong. We need to run the air conditioning unit when things get uncomfortable. But now we can be comfortable while saving money at the same time.
The ecobee4 Thermostat to the Rescue
The ecobee4 is a smart thermostat with built in Amazon Alexa voice service. It allows you to control your thermostat from your phone or tablet. It even “learns” your home temperature preferences over time. Armed with this data, the ecobee4 will begin to make automatic temperature adjustments. Here are some other amazing features of the ecobee4:
- It can detect both the hot and cold areas of your home and make automatic adjustments to increase comfort. To accomplish this, the ecobee4 uses sensors that can be placed in each room (one room sensor is included, others are sold separately).
- You can speak to it from across the room to set the temperature. And because Alexa is built in, you can also ask it to set a timer, read the news and much more.
- It can be programmed on a set schedule.
- It can help lower your energy bill as much as 23%.
- It can be installed by most customers in 30 minutes or less.
- It offers free energy reports and tips to help save even more money.
- Also works with Android and iOS devices, Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant and Samsung SmartThings.
The bottom line is this: if you haven’t added a smart thermostat to your home, then you will continue to pay too much on your monthly electric bill. At $245, the ecobee4 smart thermostat is a small price to pay for big future savings.