As a homeowner, you know that saving energy is surefire way to save cash. There are many ways to make your home more energy efficient and that goal is especially necessary during the summer. During the hottest months of the year, our collective electric bills rise by as much as 300% compared to the rest of the year.
Here are some of our summer-time energy-saving tips from floor to ceiling to help you save a little money for the remainder of the summer.
- Make sure your ceiling fans are rotating in the counter-clockwise direction. By doing so, this will direct the air from the fans in a downward direction which will creating a comfortable cooling effect.
- To add to the previous tip, if you do indeed have ceiling fans throughout your home, you can typically set your thermostat to a higher setting.
- Try to keep the temperature setting on your thermostat as close to the temperature outside as close as possible. The bigger the difference between the two temperatures, the more energy you use and lose.
- When you leave your home, raise the temperature on your thermostat. You don’t necessarily have to turn the air conditioner off but there’s no need to excessively cool an empty house.
- As an added caveat to the previous tip, turn off your air conditioner completely when your home will be empty for significant time periods such as when you are traveling.
- Clean or replace your air conditioner’s air filter at least once a month.
- If possible, clean your outdoor compressor on a regular basis. This will keep your air conditioner working efficiently.
- Make sure there are no plants within one foot from your outdoor air conditioning unit. This will help provide sufficient airflow to the unit.
- Consider installing light-colored curtains on all your windows. These curtains will still allow sunlight to enter rooms while cutting down on heat.
- If you do not have an Energy Star rated air conditioning unit, set it to “Power Save” or “Quiet Guard” mode.
These 10 tips are simple yet effective and will help save you money this summer.