When it comes to saving electricity, one of the tips you read about most is turning off lights when not in use. The question is, do you roll your eyes or shrug your shoulders when you hear this tip? In this article we will demonstrate how you’re literally throwing away money by leaving the lights on unnecessarily.
As an example, let’s consider the following scenario. It’s evening and you’re cooking dinner. You’ve reached the point where everything has to cook for the next 30 minutes and you decide to sit on the couch and wait. Do you leave the kitchen light on?
The problem is, most of us do. But what good does it do to leave the lights on while food is cooking? If you think about it, there is absolutely no good reason.
Studies have shown that the average household has over 40 light sockets. Based on that number, consider for a moment how wasted energy can add up fast. And the bottom line is, a lot of wasted energy can add up to a lot of wasted money.
Here are some real numbers to consider if you’re still shrugging your shoulders and rolling your eyes when it comes to the concept of turning off the lights when not in use.
- If you’re still using traditional (another word for ‘old’) incandescent light bulbs, here are a few facts you should know. The standard 60-watt light bulb can waste up to 90% of its energy on simply producing heat. What this means is that only the remaining 10% is used for actually producing light. To look at this a different way, if you were to leave your lights on for an extra $8 per day, you would waste up to $900 a year. Instead of using traditional lights, switch to newer LED bulbs that have proven to be more energy efficient.
- Now just because you make the switch to LED lights, it’s still not a good idea to leave the lights on. Continuing with our example from above, you would still be out $180 a year. Now while that is far less than $900, it is still a waste of money. But it also proves how much more energy efficient LED bulbs are.
- If you have a home office, it could be costing you money each year also. Did you know that if you decided to shut off your desktop computer, laser printer and Wi-Fi router each time you left the house, you could save an extra $216 per year.
- Can you say that you have ever turned off your living room electronics before leaving the house? The truth is, who really does that? But here’s what would happen if you did. If you decided to unplug your television, game consoles, soundbars and other electronics, you could save up to $125 per year. Now we wouldn’t suggest unplugging your cable box or DVR because you would be totally upset the first time you realized that you didn’t record your favorite shows.
To be honest, you’re probably thinking that most of these tips aren’t practical. But if you’re serious about conserving energy and saving money, then these tips are a good way to get started.